5. I did not expect that I would become a one hundred percent sucker for cutesy things. I like cute, and I’m not ashamed to admit it… but the number of times I’ve seen new clothing for Sage and immediately went, “Awwwwwwww!” has really surprised me.
4. I did not expect that I would immediately start judging other parents’ decisions. I’ve always tried to be very fair in recognizing that there is no one formula for raising kids. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa. But I can’t help but find myself hearing of other people’s decisions and immediately thinking, “That’s dangerous” or “That’s self-destructive” or “I hope you don’t have any more kids.” I don’t like this part of me that’s emerging, although I can recognize the value of having strong convictions about parenting.
3. I did not expect that I would be as patient as I am. While there are certainly times when I get frustrated (especially when she screams for over an hour late at night and I’m trying to calm her down), I’ve been very surprised that I can go a long, long time of struggling with her fussiness and still maintain my cool.
2. I did not expect that I would be so on edge when others hold my child. It’s not that I don’t trust these friends and family; it’s that I have just handed over the most precious thing I have, and people are not holding her exactly the way that I would, nor do they know how to comfort her the ways I have learned to do so. (There are some people that I really don’t trust to behave with my kid — I expect them to do things like try to give her cookie crumbs or something like that simply because they don’t think it’s a big deal. It may not technically be a big deal, but IT IS A BIG DEAL.
1. I did not expect that I would so quickly get used to baby bodily fluids. I’ve cleaned that backside so often that I don’t even think about it anymore. But even the rare times that she’s spit up directly on my “oh God not dirt or anything sticky or even lotion” hands? Meh. So what. I’ve got a spit rag. I’m more concerned that Sage is feeling all right.